Outdoor education at YMCA Kanawana
Why choose Kanawana?
• A Counsellor/camper ratio that ensures a more personalized approach with youth (1 facilitator per 10 campers during the stays)
• Philosophy that promotes sustainable development through our infrastructures and the content of our programming
• Quality food
• Magnificent site with 3 private lakes in the heart of the forest
• A 45 minute drive from Montreal
• Activities that promote environmental awareness, sustainable development, and cooperation.
Who is it for? School groups from across Québec and Canada (also see the article regarding our partnership with the CSDM).
When? In the spring and fall.
Where? 70 kms from Montreal, and a 5 minute drive from Saint-Sauveur.
In what language is the service offered? French or English.
Length of an outdoor activity day? You can arrive and leave between 8:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. The longer the kids stay, the more time they will have to take part in the activities!
Length of stay? Adaptable to your needs. We strongly recommend stay of two days or more.
What is included in a stay? The meals, snacks, activities, lifeguards, program specialists, equipment needed for programming, and complete supervision of the groups from breakfast to bedtime.
What other services do we recommend during / for the stay? Night time supervision, a visit to your school before the stay.
Activities offered? Water-based activities (kayaking, canoeing, swimming, water trampoline, etc), rock climbing, ropes course, cooperative and initiative games, and countless activities with an educational component on nature and sustainable development.
(List of activities)
(Photos of activities)
Programming? Adapted to your needs; activities chosen in accordance with your overall objectives. The schedule is created along with the person responsible for the group a few weeks prior to your arrival at camp. Activities emphasize the environment, the natural sciences, teamwork, and cooperation. (Outdoor activity day)
* These schedules serve as sample only. Stays of 2, 3, 4 days and more are available.
Groups and counsellors
• Ratio of 1 counsellor per group of 10 youths (stays)
• Counsellors are 18 years of age and up
• Trained in first aid and CPR
• Specially trained in outdoor education
• Fully responsible for the groups
• Certified lifeguards and program specialists on-site
Rental of site and facilities
• Food service
• Counsellors, lifeguards, and program specialists
• Meeting and training room
• Rental of platform tents or cabins
• Quality food
• Vegetarian food options available
• Special attention paid to allergies and food restrictions
• Nuts are not allowed on the camp site
*This menu is just a sample.
• New cabins that can house up to 12 people(Photos of the new cabins)
• Meeting or training rooms
• Eco-friendly sanitary facilities
(Photos of the sanitary facilities)
For more information, contact Evan Frankel
Classe Nature and Rental Group Coordinator
(514) 849-5331 ext. 240