Outdoor Education at YMCA Camp Kanawana
Why Choose YMCA Camp Kanawana?
• A Counsellor/camper ratio that ensures a more personalized approach with youth (1 facilitator per 10 campers for groups staying overnight and 1 facilitator per 15 campers for day groups).
• Philosophy that promotes sustainable development through our infrastructures and the content of our programming
• Quality food
• Magnificent site with 3 private lakes in the heart of the forest
• 45 minute drive from Montreal
• Activities that promote environmental awareness, sustainable development, and cooperation.
• Heated cabins with electricity that can house up to 12 people
• Semi-private housing for teachers or adult chaperones
• Meeting, training and activity rooms
• Eco-friendly sanitary facilities
Photos of the cabins Photos of the sanitary facilitiesGroups and Counsellors
• Ratio of 1 counsellor per group of 10 youths (overnight stays)
• Ratio of 1 counsellor per group of 15 youths (day groups)
• Counsellors are 18 years of age and up
• Trained in first aid and CPR
• Specially trained in outdoor education
• Fully responsible for the groups
• Certified lifeguards and program specialists on-site
• Quality food
• Vegetarian food options available
• Special attention paid to allergies and food restrictions
• Nuts are not allowed on the camp site Sample menu
*This menu is just a sample.
Who is it for? School groups from across Québec and Canada (also see the article regarding our partnership with the CSDM).
When? In the spring (mid-May through late June) & fall (mid-August through Thanksgiving).
Where? 70 kms from Montreal, and a 5 minute drive from Saint-Sauveur.
In what language is the service offered? French or English.
Length of an outdoor activity day? You can arrive and leave between 8:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. The longer the kids stay, the more time they will have to take part in the activities!
Length of stay? Adaptable to your needs. We strongly recommend stay of two days or more.
What is included in a stay? The meals, snacks, activities, lifeguards, program specialists, equipment needed for programming, and complete supervision of the groups from breakfast to bedtime.
What other services do we recommend during / for the stay? Night time supervision, a visit to your school before the stay.
Activities offered? Water-based activities (kayaking, canoeing, swimming, water trampoline, etc), rock climbing, ropes course, cooperative and initiative games, and countless activities with an educational component on nature and sustainable development.
List of activities
Photos of activities
Programming? Adapted to your needs; activities chosen in accordance with your overall objectives. The schedule is created along with the person responsible for the group a few weeks prior to your arrival at camp. Activities emphasize the environment, the natural sciences, teamwork, and cooperation. Overnight StayOutdoor Activity Day * These schedules serve as sample only. Stays of 2, 3, 4 days and more are available.
For more information, contact:
Coordinator, Outdoor Education & Rental Groups
514-849-5331 ext. 1555